Saturday, July 10, 2010

David and the wheel kablooey

So my first official training ride of the 2010 training season unfortunately met with a minor calamity.  My back wheel basically exploded about 15 miles into the 35 miles.  Granted, I am what is euphemistically called a "Clydesdale" rider which is any rider over 200 lbs.    Think about the average spandex clad cyclist - what comes to mind is probably a super skinny frail looking dude that looks like he is one meal away from passing out. 

That is not me.  Luckily the wheel is still under warranty, and this failure appears to be a manufacturing defect (other wheels riden by small riders also exploded).  But the bad news is that this puts my road bike out of commission for at least a week, probably two.

The worst part of the ride was sitting on the bosque trail and watching all the other bikers pass me by as I awaited rescue from the sag vehicle (Connor and Ali in the Subaru).  I felt very much like Pee-wee after his bike was stolen.  (And yes, that is my favorite movie....)



No comments:

Post a Comment