It is that time of year again - time to start training for the Bike MS150! First up, get the bike up and ready to go. (For those of you that are not aware, my Bianci Volpe is named Giuseppe).
The first step was to finally get some "Clydesdale" strength wheels that can hold up to my weight. Most wheels are designed for riders that are at most 160 lbs - I, however, weight about 70 lbs more. So I got a sweet pair of custom built wheels from Peter White Cycles. Why did I choose this place? Well, the wheel rant was the biggest reason. (Read it - it is like he was talking to me personally!) For those gear heads, they are Velocity Chukker rims with Phil Wood hubs laced at 40 spokes.
I also took Giuseppe in for a much needed tuneup. He has been tirelessly carrying me to work for over 3 years now, so I rewarded him with a comprehensive day at the spa. New cables, chain, serviced bottom bracket, new brakes, as well as new tires that went along with the new wheels above.
Yes, all this was pricey, but considering we don't have a second car (or second car payment) and we don't pay for gas to get me around, this is all small dollars. I estimate I have put over 7500 miles alone in the three years that I have been commuting to work, not counting all the training rides too. So he deserved a little TLC.
No comments:
Post a Comment