Sunday, July 10, 2011

The first training ride!

This was the first official training ride of the 2011 season!  I am taking my captaining role a little bit more serious this year, as in addition to some great friends on the team, there are a few folks who have joined up due to my recruiting efforts around town and at work.  I absolutely want to make sure they enjoy themselves as much as I will on this ride, so I have put together a rigorous schedule of rides to get everyone ready.  We are already up to 11 riders (6 new riders from last year) and I hope to get a few more!

We all gathered in the predawn light at O'Neills for the first official ride of the season.  After a few minutes of swapping equipment and an emergency stop at the Casa de Scrymgeour for a rest stop (the ride departure point is only a mile away), we were off about 6:30 am.  We headed east on the gradual hill up to Tramway than north up Tramway.  At the top we took the little torturous ride up to the base of the tram before enjoying a nice little break.  We then headed off for the long decent into the valley (very fun!).  We finished up by riding the diversion channel south back to the ride start.  An interactive map of the ride can be found here.  A nice start for the season!

Total ride time: 2:33, distance 36 miles, average speed 14 mph, top speed 37 mph.



No comments:

Post a Comment