Sunday, August 15, 2010

Biking the mother road / gravity is a cruel mistress

These rides are getting serious!  Today we headed out for the 65 mile loop out to Tijeras on old Route 66, around Cedro Peak to the famous rollers on south 217, and then up to Sandia Park at the base of the road to Sandia Peak, then the descent back to ABQ.  A map of the route is here, and make sure to check the elevation gain at the bottom of the page.  That is right - the first 25 miles were an unrelenting uphill with a 2400 ft elevation gain!   Just to let you know, I am not a hill climber.  There is a reason that Tour de France riders look like they are one meal from passing out.  The less body mass to drag up the hill the better!

Break of dawn at the mouth of Tijeras canyon.

Now, don't get me wrong, I am not complaining.  This was exactly the sort of ride I need to get into hill shape.  But I do have to say the elevation gain would have been enough, but no, that and a strong head wind for the first 15 miles were pretty draining.  But it is a beautiful ride - sort of amazing to leave the city to the absolute quietness of the East Mountains.  Also, due to the peculiarity of rainfall patterns, it is green, lush, and very cool over on that side.  We wound our way through pine forests and fields of sunflowers for most of the ride.

Kinda geeked out to be biking on the old Mother Road.
It was just teammate Andrew and I today, the rest of the team were otherwise occupied.  Still on the fence about what to do for next weekend.  Another long ride?  Maybe a rest weekend?  I owe Ali big on this ride, as not only did she watch Connor while I was gone (5:30 am to 11:30 am), but she made sausage and blueberry pancakes for Andrew and I when we got back.  This kindness, plus my famous blood mary's, was a good way to recover from the ride.  Only two weeks to go!

Halfway through the rollers.  At least we were still smiling!
Beautiful view!

No comments:

Post a Comment